Requirements To Apply To A Pensioner Or Renter's Visa In Chile - Employment and HR - Mondaq Chile - Mondaq Business Briefing - Books and Journals - VLEX 652827281

Requirements To Apply To A Pensioner Or Renter's Visa In Chile

Author:Mr Carlos Browne
Profession:Brokering Abogados


A pensioner or renter's visa is a temporary residency visa that applies to applicants that are retired and have a retirement pension or with the means to support themselves in Chile via a periodic income that they receive from the ownership of property and/or lease contracts in Chile or abroad or from any other legal means, such as stock ownership, interest income, bond investments, among others.

The amount of income required is not established by law, and is finally determined by the competent authorities in Chile. This amount is determined by different factors, such as the place where the applicant intends to live in or if he or she brings family to Chile as well. The approval is based on convincing the authorities that the applicant can support him or herself and his family for at least the duration of the visa, which is one year.

Considering the cost of life, the amount needed is at least USD$1.000 per month per person in the household, depending of course of the place where the applicant intends to live, as this cost varies among different cities and communes. This amount can vary with the exchange rates of the currency.

There are no restrictions with this visa. The applicant that is granted this type of visa can do any legal activity in Chile within the term of the visa.

Ways to apply

This can be applied either via a competent consulate of the country of residency of the applicant or directly in Chile, via a standard form that must be filled, signed and mailed to the Department of Immigration. It is recommended to apply in Chile, as the time required for approval is much shorter, and the rejection rate is lower.

The following general documentation is necessary:

Copy of the complete passport, including the identification pages, the number and dates of issuance and expiry, and the page with the entry stamp to the country. Copy of the Tourism Card A recent photograph of the applicant, 3×2 cm., in color, with full name and passport number The applicant must also bring the following documentation, specific to the type of visa:

Regarding pensioners Copy of the last 3 monthly liquidations of pensions, legalized before a Notary Public or Copy of the Consul's Certificate of the country of origin of the...

To continue reading